Friday, October 21, 2011

People and songs

It's not the most obvious thing in the world, but I am sure we've all realised it at some point in life. Every person in your life is remembered or related to with some song you've heard. Sometimes It's the best feeling in the world to be reminded of the person every time you hear the song and sometimes it's the worst.

I have always be one of those people who customises ring tones for every person in their contact list. The ability of these songs to unconsciously ring a memory in your mind when the person calls, is a feeling that have always brought immense happiness to me.

This relationship between a song and a person is a result of many instances that have happened in my life. The first moments spent together, personalities the songs matched, the first time introductions, the embarrassing drunk episodes, those intimate moments when they just happened to be playing in the background and lyrics that seemed like they had been written with that particular person in mind.

I enjoy all kinds of music genres. And to an extent I believe it is only because of these links that the songs share with important people in my life. It's possible to forget what has happened in the past and move on, but it's amazing how songs can bring back a myriad of memories which have been hibernating in our hearts and minds for years together. Everyone has had people walk in and walk out of their lives. And this whole concept of 'it's the ones that leave footprints in your heart' is a load of crap! If they left then they weren't meant to be with you anyway and what is the point of their footprints being left behind when those footprints are only going to walk all over you, stomping heartache all along the way? But nevertheless, we have good and bad memories linked with everyone and sometimes it is nice to be reminded of those happy times spent with each other.

I had five extremely close friends that I would do anything for out of which four have remained. And this post is a result of me standing near my window watching the pelting rain outside, wishing I was with all of them together sipping filter coffee and getting drenched in Bangalore rain.
So to Adeesh, every time you call I hear 'watch the sunrise'. I don't really know why this song is linked to you but It's been my ringtone for 2 and a half years now and it's not going to change either :)
To Sejal, our song has always been bitter sweet symphony even though you may not agree with it! And to you as well, It's not going to change! :)
To Nangu, you will probably remember this song as the one you loved during your devdaas days. But I will remember it as our song all the way. Carnival of rust.
To Smita, I think we liked this song because of the movie. I have been wanting to set 'Say what you need to say' as your contact ringtone for over 4 years now but I still haven't done it! Nevertheless, It always brings a smile to my face when I hear it :)
And last, to you who I don't have one, but multiple songs related to. You didn't stay my 'wonderwall' and you promised your 'fix you' abilities for life, but things change and all I can really say is that they still make me nostalgic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment